Are you entitled to Free School Meals?
Free school meals – Pupil Premium
Free school meals are available for children if their parent or carer receives certain benefits. Apply immediately if you think you will qualify. It is important to apply as this registers your child for the pupil premium; funding available to schools for children who qualify for free school meals via the eligibility criteria.
If you don’t apply, your child’s school will miss out on funding which could go towards equipment, resources, trips or uniform discounts.
If your child prefers to take a packed lunch or make other arrangements, you will still need to register for free school meals for your school to receive the pupil premium funding.
Who can get free school meals?
Parents or guardians are entitled to get free school meals or milk for their children if they receive any of the following:
- Income Support
- Income based Jobseekers Allowance
- Guaranteed Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit with a total annual taxable income of less than £16,190 and are not receiving Working Tax Credit
- income related Employment and Support Allowance
- Universal Credit
- have successfully obtained asylum status
If you are a foster carer, and receiving a fostering allowance, you are not eligible to claim free school meals for those children you are fostering from school year 3 and above.
Who can claim
Do you receive any of the following benefits?
- Income Support.
- Universal Credit.
- Income based Jobseeker’s Allowance.
- Income related Employment Support Allowance.
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999.
- The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit.
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190).
- Working Tax Credit run-on (paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit).
You must be the named recipient of the benefit to make the free school meals application
Yes, I receive one of the benefits above.
Support with your Free School Meal application
If you are eligible and would like more information or help with your application, please make an appointment to see Mrs J Rowe, at South Wirral High School. We will send off your form for you, to take the hassle away from you, our busy parents and carers. Please call 0151 327 3213 to make your appointment.
Worried about your child’s transition from year 6 to 7? We will contribute to making the ‘Moving on Up’ transition as smooth and enjoyable as possible.
A reminder to all students who are entitled to a free school meal.
Students who are entitled to a free school meal can spend their allowance at the following times
- Breakfast 8am to 8.40am
- Break 11am to 11.15am
- Lunch 12.15am to 13.00pm
*Students can also order a packed lunch from the canteen